Monday, September 16, 2013

Window Shopping Cambridge

Back when we first moved here I started taking pictures of some of the store windows around Cambridge, both because I spend a lot of time window shopping and as a way of showing more of what Cambridge looks like. Now that the stores have all changed to their fall window displays, I thought I'd better post my pictures before they get even more out of date.
This is a cute little shop. I especially like their window display with the birds and the classic-looking dresses. It reminds me a little bit of the "Put a Bird on It" Portlandia sketch, but in a good way.

 Cath Kidston seems to continually have cute window displays, but I especially like this one.
This little fabric store is so cute it almost makes me wish I could sew and be crafty.
Occasionally, I see people of the University set walking around in their academic gowns, but generally they dress not too different from anyone else. However, there's a number of shops with this ultra-college-prep look, so they must be dressing like this sometimes. I took this picture because they have a tie sculpture in the window, but you can't really see it with the window glare.
 Real live bookshops are not dead in Cambridge. There's lots!
Around the birth of baby George, a number of store windows in town featured something to celebrate.
This cute little candy shop is right in the main section of Cambridge. Sherbet in England is sometimes hard candies, like lemon drops, and sometimes it's this sugary powder. I had to buy some to investigate. The girls say it's like Fun Dips, but more flavorful. I see the word "lollies" used to describe both suckers and popsicles.
"Bespoke" is my new vocabulary word. You see it on signs and such all over here. I don't remember seeing the word used in America. I think what they mean by it is "made to order."
This is Mike's and my favorite new shop: Cambridge Cheese Company. Besides all kinds of tempting things to eat inside, I think their store window is very cute. Note the "bespoke" picnics!
 I'm a little bit obsessed with these bags from Cambridge Satchel Company.
 I just love this look. I would dress Anya like this all the time if she would let me, and if she wasn't just a few years too old.

This business - well, former business - is outside the main part of town. It doesn't look like the blank tape business is thriving here in Cambridge. 

So that's my short tour of shopping in Cambridge. You'll have to come visit to get a closer look!

4 comments:

  1. LOVE the bird print dress and orange sweater at CK!!! Thanks for including that photo :) I hope you do another window shopping post when everything is decked for Christmas!
    p.s. - I think that you need one of those satchels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was fun! I adore that little girl outfit with the sweater...wouldn't it be adorable on Macey?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had to let you know - the ModCloth catalog came today, and they are selling Cambridge Satchels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julia, Macey would look adorable! And Shannon, that's interesting! JCrew has them in their children's section also, at least the UK JCrew. I wonder if they've been sold around all along and I've never noticed before, or if they're expanding recently.

    ReplyDelete