Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Where I Find my Tastes are Similar to the 70-90 Year-Old-Lady Set

When I saw an add for a production of Mansfield Park with these reviews:
'The Play has all the shiny qualities of a piece penned yesterday'
****The Telegraph
'You cannot fail to be seduced by this captivating production.'
Oxford Times*****
'A sheer delight'
British Theatre Guide
**** WhatsOnStage
'A triumph for the Theatre Royal'
East Anglian Daily Times
I knew I had to go. 


The play was in Bury St Edmunds, a very cute medieval city in Suffolk.
I was happy enough to be going out, because, come on, it's Jane Austen, but even more pleased when I saw the adorable theater it played in. It's the last working Regency-era theater in England. I do wish I took better pictures of the theater, because I just loved it. On the floor, there's just about 10 rows, 10 seats across - a pretty cozy size. Then it's surrounded by these small boxes that seat about 4-6 people. Every seat in the house seems like it would be great. It would be so nice to see every production we go to in such an intimate theater. Mike did miss modern seats though. The seating was not designed with the comfort of someone his height in mind.
Mike was very compliant about coming along with me - in fact, he said it was great - but he did find it amusing that we were, on average, a generation younger than the rest of the audience. The youngsters didn't know what they were missing, because the play was so fun and well-acted. Definitely a step or two above our usual date night.

3 comments:

  1. What a fun evening. It all sounds just too wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds perfect! Kurt has the same complaint about the seats at The Ruby; I am more than happy to sacrifice a little bit of comfort for the atmosphere. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great theatre! Would love to see it and the production

    ReplyDelete