Saturday, September 7, 2013

Maximizing Expenses

Or this post could be titled: How to turn a cheap weekend car rental into a major vacation expense.

We have learned that the English take their traffic and parking enforcement very seriously. Either that, or we are a unique combination of oblivious and unlucky.

So, earlier this summer we rented a car for two different weekends. Mike was going to pick it up on his way home from work on Friday. I called him from work to let him know the good news: you only need a parking pass until 5pm. Since he was coming home later than that, he wouldn't need to bother with a parking pass. Later that evening as we were walking out to the store we discovered ticket number one. Apparently there are yellow line spots, which aren't enforced after 5, but the white line spots are enforced until 8. Very frustrating, since I had actually purchased a valid parking pass.

The next day we left on a two day adventure. Soon after returning the car, we get a notice from our car rental company explaining that we got a traffic infraction. They helpfully passed our information on to the correct authorities and charged us 30 pounds for their assistance. Weeks later we finally get the ticket in the mail and find out what the infraction was. Mike was going SIX miles over the speed limit. Apparently, the ten-mile-over grace is not a recognized concept in England.

On to our next car rental. This time we were sure to fill out the parking pass and park in the white line space. However, walking home from the store (which we visit daily - I seem to be incapable of advance meal planning) we found parking ticket number two. To this day, my best guess is that the parking meter guy didn't approve of Mike's handwriting. I can't imagine anyone being very impressed with Mike's handwriting, but it still doesn't justify a ticket.

Then, to top off our car renting experiences, the next day we get parking ticket number three! I actually managed to argue my way out of paying the first two tickets, but I was out of excuses for the third one. Mike had thought I had filled out the parking pass, while I thought he had moved the car to a space that didn't require a pass.

The authorities haven't revealed the cost of the speeding ticket, so I can't yet add up the costs of our couple of car renting experiences. But I am looking a little more closely at places we can visit by train.

3 comments:

  1. What a frustrating experience! On our way to Ed week, we were pulled over in OR for not moving into the left lane while passing a police car that was pulled off on the side of the road. Kelly and I were both under the impression that pulling into the left lane was a courtesy, not a law - we were informed otherwise, and ticketed as a reminder. I am all for law enforcement and keeping the peace, but sometimes the traffic laws (here and apparently in England) are exasperating. I hope that you have better luck in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheesh! Can't wait to hear about your next car rental experience...or have you sworn off renting cars in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon, I never knew that was a law either! Julia, I'm sure we'll try again. Just be very, very careful about parking and speed limits.

    ReplyDelete