Friday, November 15, 2013

St. John's College Old Library

A few weeks ago Cambridge University sponsored a Festival of Ideas. They held a series of talks and lectures all over the university that were open to the public. I could have taken the opportunity to learn all kinds of things, but instead I decided to visit St. John's College's Old Library. It's normally not open to the public so I was happy to get a chance to visit it.
 The library was built in the 1600s, and at the time was the largest collection in Cambridge.
 The books are so old the titles aren't printed on the spines.
 This is a close-up of the decorative bookshelves.
They have a few books on display, including a first edition with Robert Herrick's famous poem.
The first illustrated edition of Paradise Lost.
Also, since the college was open I was able to see the Bridge of Sighs, which the public usually can't see except from a punt.
More of the beautiful St. John's College.

This post might be of interest to only me. I enjoy these little chances to tour my temporary home town though.

2 comments:

  1. There is only one thing lacking in this post - scent! I can only imagine how amazing that library must smell, with all of the polished wood, aged leather and brittle paper.
    Also, that bridge!!! sigh. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed it! It looks beautiful and its so inspiring to see how you are really taking every chance you can to see and do as much as possible while you are there!

    ReplyDelete