Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Paris Explorations

Our first full day in Paris we woke up to an absolutely perfect fall day, so we decided to walk along the Seine to Musee D'Orsay instead of taking the Metro.
We enjoyed a photography exhibit along the way. There would be about five or six photos from a country, with many countries represented. Each set was really good at giving a feel for the culture and people at that place. It was interesting to see them displayed together because of the differences. I wish I'd had Mike pose in front of one of our favorites, instead of just some random spot.
I had to include this picture just because Mike took most of the pictures so he appears in very few of them.
 Camille next to the Seine.
Have you heard of the love locks bridges? It started on one, and now there's at least three that we saw. Couples write their name on a lock and then throw the key into the Seine as a symbol of their eternal love. We laughed when we noticed that some of the locks are combination locks. Maybe a backup plan?
By the time we got to Musee D'Orsay the line to get in was really long. I'd put us behind schedule by visiting Poilane before we left. We decided we weren't in the mood to wait in line, so wandered around the Left Bank and went to Jardin du Luxembourg instead. 
At this fountain you can rent little boats to sail in the fountain. This girl is holding a stick that they give you with your boat to help pull it in and steer it.
It was such a nice day for sitting in the sun and enjoying our drinks. It was our only perfect weather day, but when going to Paris at the end of October, beginning of November, one day of perfection is still very lucky.

The next day we got up in time to get to the Musee D'Orsay at opening time in order to minimize the line. They no longer let you take pictures in most of the museum, except this spot behind the old train station clock. At first we were disappointed about the no pictures rule. Then Mike reminded me about our first visit to the museum when we saw this guy carefully photographing every. single. picture. in the museum. Then we realized they might be doing people who go to actually enjoy the artwork a favor.
Being behind this clock reminded us of the movie Hugo, although it was set somewhere else.
After the museum, some food and a little break, we spent the rest of the day at the Eiffel Tower and going out to dinner at Creperie Bretonne.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is my favorite of your Paris posts. The weather is just so beautiful, and there is something very charming about the little girl guiding her boat with a stick. I have never actually seen someone doing that, but it reminds me of reading Stewart LIttle when I was young. Also, I am glad that you posted that photo of Mike and Camille, because it is excellent! Camille has such a sweet expression on her face. Also, I have one of the lock bridges pinned on my "places I want to go" boards! You are living my dreams. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am behind in looking at blogs. I did enjoy very much all the Paris scenes.

    ReplyDelete