Sunday, February 2, 2014

Here Comes the Sun

We had a wet, cold and stormy week. One afternoon I had a number of things to do, requiring me to spend a majority of my time either riding my bike through the rain or walking and fighting with my umbrella against the rain and wind. By evening I was so thoroughly soaked and chilled that I felt I would happily turn the day in for some warm southern California sunshine. But this weekend, the sun came out again and all is right with the world.
Saturday we headed out to Wandlebury Park, located just outside of Cambridge next to the Gog Magog Farm Shop and Cafe (which I mentioned previously here: http://infinitedealofnothing.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/grantchester-and-farm-shops.html). Sadly, I just love it when any kind of exercise excursion I go on is located near a place with delicious food to eat.
The park is a great place for a family walk and exploring in the woods. You know, if you had the kind of kids that didn't think it a punishment to go out walking with you.
We made our way through open fields and wooded paths to an old Roman road. It extends for miles, although we only walked a small part.

Sunday afternoon - when, incidentally, most Americans would be home watching the Superbowl but Mike still had 8 to 10 hours to kill before kick-off - we head back to Anglesey Abbey.
 All kinds of new flowers had bloomed just since last week.
I'm afraid I'm not much of a botanist, so I can't tell you what those pretty flowers are mixed in with the snowdrops.

Going to see the snowdrops is a big event. The parking lot was full, the entry and cafe area was a madhouse, but happily the grounds are large enough that you can still often walk on uncrowded paths.

After a couple of afternoons out in the beautiful outdoors, I'm happy with winter again.

1 comment:

  1. This post is dreamy. Including the part about exercise being followed by delicious food ;)

    ReplyDelete