Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Centennial

We just returned from a short vacation down south, so are busy cleaning and unpacking and also anticipating and getting ready for my parents to arrive tomorrow. Yay! But I'm not sure how soon I'll get around to sorting our vacation photos and posting on that. 

In the meantime, yesterday was the 100 year anniversary of the start of World War I, the war to end all wars. All sorts of commemorative events were happening around the UK and Europe yesterday. We missed out on most of those, as we were traveling, but did get back in time to participate in "Lights Out." Britons were encouraged to turn out their lights from 10 to 11 pm last night, leaving just one candle burning. It was inspired by the words of Sir Edward Grey, then foreign secretary, who said before the official declaration of war, "The lamps are going out all over Europe; we shall not see them lit again in our lifetime." Seventeen million soldiers and civilians died in that war. It's a hard number to fathom. It was nice to take a moment to think about that time and appreciate the peace I enjoy today.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tradition. I am impressed that the lights go out for a full hour. I wish it had been the end to all wars...

    ReplyDelete