Friday, June 13, 2014

Cars

I'm in a post-vacation state of lack of ambition for doing anything blog post worthy as of late. I haven't even been able to work up the ambition to go to a movie this week. What sounds even better is sitting around my yard and reading books. I'm not going to post any selfies of me out in the yard reading a book. One, not interesting, and two, I'd rather not reveal the state of my yard.

Instead, I'll post some car pictures we've taken over the last year. These all fit my image of what people in Europe drive, even though in reality, it's generally more compacts and very small minivans/station wagons they call "people movers."
I'm not even sure what these cars are, but I can picture someone from an Agatha Christie or Mary Stewart novel driving around in one.
 Love the old Minis, that really are mini.
 Sadly, I've only seen people driving around in chauffeured Rolls Royces in wedding scenarios.
 If I were a single person in a European city I'd happily drive this cheerful yellow car around.

Classic MGs.

 If you're parking a car in front of a half-timbered medieval cottage, you can't go wrong with a Morgan.
 I know the 2CV is French, but it fits my idea of a proper car for English village driving.
Loved all these little Fiats we saw in Italy. Half the cars you see in Italy really are tiny, tiny Fiats or tiny, tiny Smart cars. Italian men are not afraid of driving small cars. They also have the world's smallest trucks, which only have three tires. We wished we could borrow one for a family picture.

Now that I've given you an unrealistic, romantic vision of driving in England, don't come and become disillusioned when all you see are Fords, Vauxhalls & Volkswagens.

1 comment:

  1. Judging by the narrow streets you have photographed, there is good reason for tiny cars! It would be a crime to see a giant SUV crunching over cobbled roads. I much prefer your romantic vision! :)

    ReplyDelete