Sunday, April 27, 2014

Bluebells

I'm getting to the end of my springtime in England checklist. I wanted to see snowdrops, wild daffodils, fields of baby lambs and a bluebell wood. The first three I've done, so last weekend it was time to find a bluebell wood.
England is one of the few places in the world where native bluebells grow wild in the woods.
I thought maybe this would require a roadtrip. Luckily though, bluebell woods are found all over the country, including Cambridgeshire. We stopped by Waresley & Gransden Woods, about fifteen minutes outside of Cambridge.
Individually, I think bluebells are a pretty little flower. They're something special when there's a whole woodland carpet of them.
Bluebells were once considered a fairy flower. If a child went alone into the woods and picked one, the fairies would take them and they'd never be seen again. Just as well then that our kids opted to stay home.
Some enterprising person had set up this honor stand just outside the bluebell wood. Unfortunately, all the eggs were gone by the time we walked by.

Bluebells are not around for long. All the spring flowers have been ahead of schedule after this warm winter, so I'm so happy I didn't miss them.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. This would definitely be on my "to-see" list if I visited Wngland in the Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pictures were lovely. It reminds me (a little) of my walks out behind our place. Right now is just the right time to walk out there. The other day I noticed all the little desert flowers that are blooming. Some of the areas are full of little yellow flowers, then I see blue, purple, pink and also orange. It is really quite lovely--not as green and beautiful as your woods, but it has it's own beauty here.

    ReplyDelete