Thursday, March 20, 2014

Winter Fashion Cambridge

Now that the first day of spring is officially here, it's time to admit defeat. It looks like I'm never going to finish getting all the fashion pictures I wanted for this post. But as I did collect some, I'll share what I've observed about Cambridge winter fashion.
Coming from a year-round warm climate, I was amazed to see that the most common fashion for women in the winter is skirts and tights or nylons. Brrr! I must admit that I didn't quite adapt to the climate here enough to imitate that fashion (with the exception of going to church). This look is almost always worn with tall boots. 
 Black tights with tall black boots is a common look.
Black tights or leggings are also worn with brown boots.
 Shorts with black tights seems to be a year-round look here.
 I rarely see anything but neutrals for coats.
Scarves for both men and women are an absolute must.
Patterned tights, opaque tights with a pattern or suspender look on the top part of the leg, and nylons with socks or tights that give the appearance of socks worn over nylons were all part of the winter skirt look.
Patterned leggings have been quite popular. I wanted a picture of plaid leggings, because that is the pattern I see the most, except when I have my camera ready.
Leather pants, leather-looking pants and coated pants (is that what they're called, where they have a waxy kind of finish?) are often seen downtown.
I wouldn't exactly call these hairstyles common, but they're things I've noticed: hair dyed unnatural colors; big, messy buns (these are conservative - they get much bigger); and crazily enough, messy, maybe teased hair pulled back with a scrunchy. Did you ever think scrunchies would come back in fashion? I'm not up enough on fashion to know if this is a world-wide trend, or if it's inspired by Cressida, Prince Harry's girlfriend, who's often photographed with this look.

So that's my account of style here in England this winter. Is it similar to the US?

2 comments:

  1. Not that I am a fashion authority, living as I do in a tiny village, but those looks seem pretty on par. One difference is color - lots more color in the coats and tights! And I haven't see many men wearing scarves here, but I think that is just Manson. If I were in NY, or even Provo, I think it would be more common. :) I love your style updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Shannon, the tall boots, patterned leggings, messy buns are definatley in. Even a little splash of color in your hair. Oh, and the leather a big trend. I got a pair, then chickened out and sent them back :)

    ReplyDelete