Monday, August 12, 2013

Day Out Framlington Castle and Bury St Edmunds Abbey

Saturday we were looking for something to do to take advantage of our weekend car rental. After our big day Friday at the Harry Potter tour, we were looking for something lower key, lower cost and close to home. We decided to visit Framlington Castle in Suffolk. It's really not on anyone's list of must-sees in England, or even top castles to visit in England, so my expectations weren't terribly high. But it turned out to be a nice afternoon.
After my recent time in desert-y Southern California, I'm still in a mode where just walking around green paths makes me very happy. The grounds around the castle have some pretty paths.
Here's Camille in the middle of a burnt-out tree.
Just in case you're wondering, Anya recently bought a new stuffed animal that she's decided needs to be in every picture with her. Also, she's not fond of posing for pictures.
For a castle I'd never heard of, it had some interesting history. It was owned by the Howards, of Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard fame. Mary I was living here when she was crowned queen. Then later the castle was partly taken apart to make facilities for feeding the poor. So only the outer walls and ramparts are left of the original, along with maybe another wall or two. The building you can see in this picture is the newer portion added for the poor. 
The town of Framlington is pretty cute. We stopped here for refreshments. The town seems to be operating on old-time European standards - it was 2:30 on a Saturday and many of the stores and shops were closing down for the weekend.
On our way home we stopped by the Bury St Edmunds Abbey. 
 The original medieval abbey is just a ruins now. It's fun to climb around on.
 I have a love of garden doors, from loving the book The Secret Garden when I was young.

The new cathedral is quite pretty too. 
The abbey also has extensive gardens around it. I would have liked wandering around here a little longer, but a certain daughter of mine wouldn't get out of the car and we didn't want to leave her too long.

5 comments:

  1. I think that you undersold the castle and day. I thought that it was pretty ideal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The clouds over the castle are spectacular! And I love the garden door; I can just imagine Mary behind it, tending her "bit of earth."
    You will have to make a book from this blog when you are finished with your year in England - what amazing memories you will have. Well, at least those of you who get out of the car ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bit of history about the Howards is really interesting. I have a fascination about that time period and that whole story....really cool. That garden door is super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing day and sights to see! Definitely "undersold!"
    Of course I love the door as well... And everything else as well! Wow you are lucky

    ReplyDelete
  5. So awesome that even when you are looking for low key you exceed your expectations and it looks so amazing. These are the times when I feel jealous cuz I def dont have any of those sorts of sat afternoon outings around here!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete