Thursday, August 1, 2013

Cambridge - Our Fair City

We've had a quiet week here. Mike has been traveling for work and Camille has been at camp. And in general, my life here in Cambridge is pretty quiet. I don't have a job or volunteering responsibilities, and my kids are fairly self-sufficient. When I'm feeling a little at loose-ends, I go walking around our city and just enjoy what a beautiful place we live in. 

In the center square of Cambridge is a market that is open every day, or at least every day I've been there. Behind it is Great Saint Mary's Cathedral. A church has been on the site since 1291, although it's been rebuilt, remodeled and restored since then.




 Kings College and Kings Cathedral are some of the prettiest and most recognized buildings in Cambridge.


 I love walking around the narrow streets around the colleges and in the downtown shopping areas.


The River Cam runs through Cambridge. There's beautiful walks, parks and bridges along and across it. Someday soon we'll have to try punting, I think it's the number one tourist activity in Cambridge.


The Corpus Clock is a new addition to Cambridge. It has kind of a gruesome-looking grasshopper (?) on it whose mouth opens and closes as it eats up time.

Cambridge has a lot of green spaces. We made the mistake of referring to them as "parks," which our girls take issue with. They generally don't have basketball courts, play equipment (or if they do, it will be for the 1-5 yrs. set), water features or any other thing that would make them a "park" in their minds. They are heavily used though, for cricket, soccer and most often, laying about.

And lastly, the Round Church. It's the oldest building in Cambridge. 

Cambridge is such a beautiful place that this is by no means an exhaustive list of all the beautiful views around town. I'm enjoying getting to know my new city.

3 comments:

  1. I feel like I just took a walk with you. I have been watching a Masterpiece mystery series filmed in Cambridge so I recognize some of your buildings from the show. It also reminds me of some of the beautiful cities were visited in Germany. Oh, I do hope I get to come over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very curious about what sort of camp Camille is off to? How brave of her! I want to wander along the river with you and amble up those narrow lanes, sigh. Even if it is gruesome looking, I really like the idea of a grasshopper eating time... it reminds me of the story, The Grasshopper and the Ant. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures and I love the cathedrals. I can't fathom how they built such beautiful churches and buildings so long ago with out modern technology. How old is the round church? You live in a beautiful city!

    ReplyDelete