Wednesday, August 21, 2013

American Loot

Mike returned home from a business trip Sunday, which is a happy thing. Partly, we're fond of his company and like having him home. Also, he brings us back American supplies.

Here's a picture of some of the things we've picked up in America:

Shoes (and clothes) - They have many nice stores here, but the prices are at least a third more expensive than in the states. So far when we've needed something I've had Mike pick it up.

Unsweetened chocolate - It maybe seems a little crazy to go to Europe and need to pick up chocolate in America. The thing is, they don't sell unsweetened chocolate here. I need (well, want) it for brownies, as well as other recipes. They must have their own version of recipes without it, but I haven't yet gone to the bother of finding new recipes.

Jalapenos - I miss Tex-Mex food! Oh what I would give for some El Napolito chips and salsa. We did try buying some salsa here. That experience has frightened me off English salsa for some time, so I decided to make my own. However I went all over the city - two farmer's markets, 5 international grocers, 4 grocery stores - and no luck. But happy day, Mike was able to bring me home some jalapenos and now I have a freezer full of salsa for whenever I'm having a craving.

Power converters and plug adapters - It's just about impossible to overestimate the number of converters and adapters you're going to need. I'm always thinking if I had just one or two more we'd be all set.

Instant Breakfast - Anya has had the hardest time adjusting to the food here. She really misses all her American breakfast food. The Instant Breakfast is just the easiest to fit in a suitcase.

I think all our other American purchases have been things like video games (video games and movies are region-locked, meaning we can't buy them here and have them work on our American machines) and toys that the girls have wanted that are also much cheaper in the U.S.

So for now, we're feeling content. We need to be, because Mike won't be back in the States until October.

3 comments:

  1. This has me thinking what we would miss most. I guess you probably wouldn't know until you can't find it! Glad you are getting your american fixes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who would have thought some of those things would be do hard to find! I would miss salsa too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is interesting... I am not sure what I would miss. It would be frustrating to have everything be so expensive, though.

    ReplyDelete