Monday, September 15, 2014

Goodbye Visitors

Although our touring and outings definitely slowed down after we returned from the Lake District, they did not slow down as much as my photos might indicate. Mike, who is generally the designated photographer, went back to work. Without him along, I'm afraid I barely took any pictures. 
One day we drove to the nearby town of Stamford, Lincolnshire. It's famous for all its stone buildings, and also for having the country home of Burghley.



We ended up wasting a little time trying to walk over to Burghley House from downtown Stamford. It was a longer walk than it looked, and we ended up turning back around before ever even making it to within viewing distance of the house. But we still had a little time for walking around the town, doing a little shopping and getting some fish and chips. I would definitely enjoy spending more time there another day.
Another day Mom, Dad and I went to London for the day. We toured Westminster Cathedral, which I hadn't done yet. There's really so much to look at in the way of memorials, that I'm not sure what my impression is of the cathedral as a whole. I suppose, though, what really makes it unique is the dense amount of history it holds.
We also did a little shopping at Harrods. Their shoe department is called "Shoe Heaven." It's a big name to live up to. I'd say if your price point for shoes starts at about $500 and comfortably goes up into the thousands, then Harrods probably is your shoe heaven. Every luxury shoe brand I've ever heard of has a beautifully presented space there.

After shopping, we spent a little time picnic-ing in Hyde Park, saw Buckingham Palace and Covent Garden, and then Mom and I went to see the show War Horse. If you've been at all tempted to see it and get the chance, go! The puppetry is amazing, the story is a nuanced view of war and is also very emotionally engaging.

And now my parents are back home. We loved having them here. I hope we were able to show them enough of what has made us fall in love with England.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the posts on your folks visit - I feel like I got to experience a bit of it through your blog. Someday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just spent a good 45 minutes looking through all of your posts and enjoying again the great sites and experiences we had on this trip. We thank you and Mike so much.

    ReplyDelete