Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Celebrating 20 Years in Prague

The art nouveau artist Alphonse Mucha lived in Prague for some of his life. You see a lot of that style around town. I especially liked this apartment building doorway - the owls, the weaving vines, the monster head over the door, the swirling iron gate. The amazing thing about Prague is how much beautiful architecture there is. Street after street, neighborhood after neighborhood of beautiful buildings.
The Weeping Wall of Wallenstein - made to look like stalactites. BTW, I look a little underdressed here because I packed completely wrong. I brought all these light sweaters and a rain jacket, which were just what I needed in England in August. But Prague in September was HOT. At least it felt hot after our English summer.
Hidden throughout the stalactite wall are faces of little monsters, snakes and frogs. It took us a while to spot them at first. They kind of blend in when you're looking at the whole, large wall.
We chose some rather quirky entertainments in Prague. Mostly, we wanted to sit eating in cafes and wander aimlessly. And that's what we did, except when we were visiting this KGB museum, with the most animated, enthused tour guide you'll ever encounter, or at the museum of communism (no eccentric guide, yet I learned a lot), or at a marionette version of Don Giovanni. 
My parents were nice enough to watch our kids while we took a trip for our 10 year anniversary and also for this trip celebrating 20 years. It's weird to think that for our 30 year anniversary, our kids won't require watching anymore. At least we sure hope they won't.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures. I'm so glad you had this opportunity to spend time together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, I realize I don't sound very grateful to you in this post. I am! We are! Thank you so much for taking time from your vacation to let us go away. We had a fabulous time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pictures are absolutely, breathtakingly spectacular. I've never had a desire to go to Prague - never really thought about it. I now have another dream destination. :)

    ReplyDelete