Thursday, May 22, 2014

Lucky

I hope everyone's hometown has something about it that induces moments you just want to pinch yourself and say, "I can't believe I'm so lucky that I get to live here." In Seattle one is driving along on a sunny day and reaching a spot where you can see the snow-capped Olympics on one side, the Cascade range on the other, majestic Mount Rainier in front of you, with a smattering of sparkling lakes  and evergreens thrown in for good measure. Of course in San Diego it's walking along the beach on yet another day of perfect weather. Nantes was all about the food - the bakery, the patisserie, the market. Some places I've lived I'd have to reach a little farther than others, but everyplace I've been lucky enough to live has something special.

In Cambridge, I have two almost daily experiences that just make me smile to myself and wonder how it is possible that I can possibly get to live here. 

One is the the bike route that Anya and I take to get to and from her school. It's just so perfect that I'm thankful for it almost every day. I say "almost," because if I'm being honest, there's been one or two days of cold, wind, and torrential rain where I don't think I paused to be grateful. Just about every other day though, it's such a pleasure. 
This picture was taken back last fall. 
It even has cows grazing along the way! I just think when I'm back in my suburban Californian town and looking back on this life I'm going to be amazed that our commute involved paths running through cow pastures. These are actually cows in a field across town, but the cows we pass look just as happy and picturesque. 
My other moment of almost daily happiness is walking down streets like this to do my errands. I have a chore to do, like going to the market or the library, and this is how I get there! One time with Anya I was in the middle of a little rhapsody on the beauty of Cambridge streets when she expressed her preference for California highways and SUVs. To each her own I suppose. What's special for you about where you get to live?

4 comments:

  1. I've been pondering this same thing as of late as we leave Morgantown. Morgantown is so beautiful and green right now. Thunder storms at night and I will miss fall here most of all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are lucky, indeed!
    Often as I pull into Wapato Point and round the corner at the first stop sign - looking at the mountains with the lake spread below - I say a little prayer of thanks to live in such a beautiful place. When I am antsy to see something new, I remind myself that many people save their money and vacation days all year to spend one week here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cracked up with Anyas preferances! There was a time I might of said something similar but as I drive back and forth from Pateros to Chelan for YW Wed night or church on Sunday I just love driving along the Columbia River and then as I head down into Chelan seeing the beautiful lake. I still miss the city but definately have appreciated where I live the longer I live here, I also enjoy our view of the mountains & Methow River from our home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. People come from all over the world to see the sights that are close to us. I love this red rock country.

    ReplyDelete