Sunday, January 26, 2014

Snowdrops

I once lived in Rhode Island. Like all places, there's many nice things about living there. One thing I just never got used to though was the winter. I swore the winter started early November and lasted solid without a single sign of spring until about mid-May (then it would be spring for three weeks before hot, humid summer set in). In contrast, here in England it's only the end of January and walking around there are signs of spring everywhere. I can so get behind a place with five months of spring!

Saturday Mike and I went walking at Anglesey Abbey to see the snowdrops in bloom, the first flowers of the year.
Such a cheerful sight!
Snowdrops make me want to start spouting poetry or recalling fairy stories, but I'll hold myself back.
I think they're my new favorite flower. For now.

 Winter branches...
...filled with signs of spring.

I must say the girls and I were so looking forward to experiencing a snowy winter. Not visiting some snow, but waking up with the surprise of a snow-covered ground, and hopefully with the even better surprise of an official school snow day. But visiting the flowers today I think I've got just a little bit of spring fever and might be able to trade in my enthusiasm for snow with enthusiasm for a nice, long spring.

5 comments:

  1. so jealous! winter here on the east is my soooo hard for me. but, those pics are just happy and make me a little less grumpy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the early signs of Spring. Nice pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seeing snowdrops in England would definitely be in my "bucket list" if I had one. Every February issue of a UK magazine I have ever purchased has an article devoted to them, and recommendations on where the viewing is best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shareen, I don't know what I did to my old comment on this post - I sent Mel Pocock the link to your blog this morning, because she is another Anglophile. I popped back here to scroll through your old posts on my phone. For some reason, this one took me right to comments, and when I tried to scroll up my old comment disappeared! Yikes. Love the snowdrops!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh goodness - never mind! I'll just send you all hugs and be done with it ;)

    ReplyDelete