Sunday, January 19, 2014

House Tour, Part 1

I got a special request for a house tour, so here it goes. I'm proceeding despite the fact that I'm pretty sure that your imaginings of my English home are much better than the reality. I live in a traditional English terraced house, on a traditional English street. There's even a sign in our window that declares that someone I've never heard of lived here in 1891, so it's at least that old. But, there's very little traditional about the inside of our house, as you'll soon see. At some point the house was extended, and the kitchen was moved from the back of the house to the front. Very little in the way of period details remain. (If you want to see a tour of my neighborhood, I did that here: http://infinitedealofnothing.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/welcome-to-my-neighborhood.html)

This is the sight you see as you walk in the front door.
At the top of the stairs is this landing with a skylight.
When we first moved in I imagined myself spending winter afternoons sitting here in a pool of sunlight; however, I'd forgotten that the winter sun doesn't rise high enough for that. It's still nice to have a house full of natural light in the dark days of winter.
Turning the other direction you see a hallway that leads to a spare room, Camille's room, a bathroom, and a staircase that leads to the top bedroom, which Anya has claimed.
 The top bedroom is a small room with a steep roof and skylights on each side.
This is the view from Anya's bed to the other side of the room. The room is so small I found it difficult to find an angle that takes in the whole thing at once.
Anya's room has the best views in the house. This is the street side view from her skylight.
Anya and Camille looking out the back side skylight.
Here is the view from her back skylight. The flat roof is the rest of our house, and then of course the roofs of some of our neighbors' homes. Cambridge seems to have many occasions that call for fireworks and we generally have a great view standing on Anya's bed and looking out her skylight.
Now we're back down one floor to the street side bedroom that Camille has claimed. Camille's room has the only hint of period detail in that her room has this (nonworking) fireplace. The rest of the room barely fits her double bed and a little desk.
This is the bathroom, obviously. Everything in it is fairly new. You can kind of see that like most English bathrooms, it has a radiator that doubles as a towel warmer.
On the back garden side of the skylight is the master bedroom and master bath. The whole area it occupies is part of the newish extension.
I'm not going to include a picture of our spare room (another small room) and our master bedroom (smallish square room filled with way too much furniture for its size to help compensate for no closets). This is the view from our master bedroom into the back yard. It looks like you'd feel lacking in privacy because of all the windows facing the bedroom from the brown house. The house is unoccupied though, apparently due to some bitter divorce or court proceedings or some such, so we don't have to worry about it. The green space is ours. You can see a stone wall that separates our space from a shared private walkway out to the street and then the start of our neighbor's back space.

There's part one of your tour. Next time I'll show your our kitchen, office, living room and garden space.

3 comments:

  1. I can see why the girls chose their rooms - the fireplace is very quaint, even if it doesn't work. And sleeping under those sky lights - dreamy! It is probably very nice to have the inside of the house updated. As charming as crooked, drafty houses look in a magazine, I am sure clean, dry rooms and working appliances are much nicer in the real world. :) Thanks for the tour! I am looking forward to your kitchen, even if there isn't an Aga.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shareen! It was fun to see where you guys are spending your time away. Sure wish I could come see it in person! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tour. I feel like I was on the Parade of Homes.

    ReplyDelete