Thursday, July 3, 2014

July is for Shopping

When I lived in France 15 or so years ago it was a hard-fast rule that nothing could be on sale unless it was January or July. England is not quite as strict is that, but definitely not like America with the Two-Days Only Super Sales at least twice a month. Most of the sales are concentrated into January and July. So lately, I've been doing some shopping and looking to find if there's anything particularly English to see.
Are there big displays of electric kettles in America? I've known people in America with an electric kettle, but it's my impression that it is by no means a standard appliance. Here it definitely is.
I think there's more space allotted to textiles in department stores in the UK. 
The Tour de France is coming through Cambridge on Monday, so many, many stores have a bicycle decorating theme right now. 
High-waisted, 80s wash, skinny jeans will forever remind me of English teenage girls, even more than black tights and skirts. Are they popular in American right now too?
Festivals are a big summer tradition in England, so many stores and magazines have displays or articles about dressing in festival wear. 
Something else that will always remind me of Cambridge are vinyl records. I was surprised seeing how many stores and how much space was devoted to them when I first moved here.
I also think the English are a little freer with their "loves" and "darlings" and "kiss kisses" with strangers and everyday people that you meet. I kind of like being called "love" and "darlin'" when I'm out shopping. That's all for now. Kiss kiss.

4 comments:

  1. Yet another reason to like living in England! It is much nicer when sales only occur a couple of times a year rather than constantly having to worry that the item you paid full price for will be marked down a week later.
    Teens in Manson haven't embraced high waisted jeans - but the girls are loving the high waisted shorts, cut off so short that they are still made up of the minimal possible material.
    Is Mike beside himself about the Tour de France?
    Kettles, textiles and people calling each other love - all happy things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am beside myself about the tour!!! Just three more days

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too enjoy being called love, sweetie, darling, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun pictures & post! You had me at shopping & sales HAHA!
    I have noticed high waisted jeans popping up but I feel like I just got completely comfortable with low waisted....sigh.. I dont see how high waisted looks good on many people but oh well.

    ReplyDelete