Sunday, December 15, 2013

The Pluses and Minuses


We've been here in England six months now, so it's time to be reflective.

Here's some things we miss about America, in no particular order.

1. Large capacity washer and dryer
I swore to myself I would not be one of those people like on International House Hunters who are so excited to experience another culture, but then proceed to complain about everything that's not the same  as back home. In general, I don't think I am. It does not stop me though from missing some of the conveniences I used to have, like a large capacity washer and dryer.  In reality, I feel pretty lucky our rental even has a washer and dryer. A lot of the places we looked at only had a washer. So I'm grateful to not be hanging wet laundry all over the house. I still miss being able to wash about everything in my house in less than a day. I miss the feeling of being caught up on laundry, which is pretty much impossible with the size we have now.

2. Consistently being served salad with salad dressing
I found it bizarre to be served a dry bunch of lettuce with no dressing once. But then it happened more than once, and at more than one restaurant. It completely baffles me. Is eating vegetables considered a punishment, not to be enjoyed, or do some people actually like lettuce that way? To be fair, I should clarify that I have also been served perfectly good salads here also.

3. Relatively smoke-free existence
Smoking rates are higher in Europe. I came from the state with the second lowest smoking rate in the country (behind Utah of course), so the difference especially stands out to me. Besides that more people smoke, the whole culture of smoking is different. It seems to be perfectly acceptable to quite a few people to light up in a line, in a crowd, holding a baby, right outside the doorway of a building or restaurant, and of course at all outside seating areas. People in America have pretty much been shamed into indulging their smoking habit away from most of society. It can be an annoyance here, but it also makes me sad seeing all these young people starting this possibly life-long addiction.

4. Pandora, Playlist, Redbox, etc.
We have so many more conveniences now than when we lived in Europe before, 15 years or so ago. I remember huddling around our little radio, so happy to be listening to the BBC. Now, if we want to, we can watch US television, listen to US radio, connect with people online. It's much easier to live abroad. We still find various media we can't get though, and as much media as we have, we still miss what we can't get.

5. American-size closets
I spent weeks before I moved here going through my house, throwing things away, giving things away, and storing about two-thirds of what was left. I feel like we brought a very modest amount of stuff, yet without closets to put it in, my house always seems a bit cluttered.  We have a wardrobe in our room, a very small closet in our spare room, and an even smaller closet in Camille's room. That's it. No hall closets, no master room closet. I had a walk-in closet in America that was so small it barely qualified as a walk-in. But I feel like everything we have here would be stored away so nicely in there. I wonder if designers of newly-built homes here have discovered the wonder of closets? [Mike says the newer places he looked at did have closets, so it's my own fault that I'm living without closets for wanting a traditional home.]

When I ask my kids what they miss, it's mostly things that are available here, we (and by "we," I mean Mike and I) just chose to do without. Cars, television, Wii. And Anya, my most Californian of California girls, misses the weather back home. She is NOT a fan of clouds, wind storms, rain, short amounts of daylight or cold. Mike really isn't either.

Now, just to be fair, there are a number of things we'll miss when we go back to America.

1. Scones and clotted cream

2. Beautiful countryside full of public walking paths
It is a country designed for walking.

3. Towel warmers
Now I'm sure some people in America have these, but I can't think of anyone I know that did. They're such a wonderful invention. Not only are the towels always dry, they are just the perfect amount of toasty.

4. Train travel
The country is so connected. It seems so much more convenient and economical to use trains here.

5. No yard noise
In California we had the most perfect weather for sitting out in the yard. The trouble is, just about any time of the day someone in the neighborhood is running a leaf blower or a lawn mower. So here we have the inconvenience of a push mower, but with the huge payout of backyard QUIET.

6. Sense of humor
I think it is really true that you find a high proportion of funny people here. And it's just what Mike and I most like too: dry, understated (except when they're in drag doing children's pantos, but that's another story),  with just a touch of sarcasm.

Of course what we miss most of all is our friends and family. But our time is flying by, and we'll be home again before we know it.

[Mike reminds me that I left off old buildings and towns with character and being a short flight or train ride from so many European vacation destinations. But this is by no means a comprehensive list on either side - just a few things from the top of my head.]

7 comments:

  1. I would trade the large w/d and closets for quiet, beautiful paths and scones with clotted cream in a heart beat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I likey lettuce with just a squeeze of lemon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you included your family there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am addicted to BBC shows - mysteries - love the euphemisms - fancy a drink? sod it!
    there are many others that I should not mention!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shannon, next time I'll have to see if I likey my salad with just a squeeze of lemon ;)
    Dad (it sounded more like a Dad comment than a Mom comment), I love the way they phrase things here too. I'm thinking of doing a post on that someday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was dad - please do! All the different names - Nick = Jail etc.

    ReplyDelete