Thursday, October 17, 2013

School in the UK


 Anya on her way to school, back when she could be out without a coat.

I've been thinking for some time that I'd like to do a post comparing school in the UK with school in the US. To be accurate though, all I can really do is a post comparing the specific schools my girls have attended. I'm not sure that I have enough experience to give a comprehensive comparison. For example, one thing that struck me about the primary school is how few people drive their kids to school, like maybe less than 10. I think it is so quaint, and really a much more relaxing way to arrive to school than fighting traffic, long lines and car exhaust. But then I talked to a mom who has a child in a slightly more suburban school outside of Cambridge, and she says at her school there are long lines of cars and traffic. So the difference might be more suburban versus urban, than US versus UK.

It's taken me a while to collect enough information to do this post. I'd love to be able to follow my kids around school for a week, so I could really tell what's going on. All I get are little crumbs of information, gathered here and there, with the exception of a couple of areas of interest that I hear all about. But here's what I've managed to figure out so far.

* Elementary school = Primary school. Secondary school runs from age 11 to age 16. School is optional after age 16 (although this is will soon be changed to age 18). 16+ go to Sixth Form or trade school type programs, which are separate schools from the Secondary.

* School placement is done strictly by birthday. There's no deciding your child isn't ready and holding them back a year like in the U.S.

* Children in England start "Reception Year" at age 4, so if they're 4 by September 1st, that's when they start. I hear conflicting stories about whether this is the equivalent to Kindergarten in the US, just started younger, or if it is more like a government-paid year of preschool. Depending on the answer to that question, my children have either skipped a grade, or just have their grade labeled differently (Year 5, instead of Grade 4; Year 8, instead of Grade 7).

* Most public schools (called state schools here) require uniforms. Anya's school does not, but they still change into a uniform for p.e.

* It is very cheap outfitting your child for school when they require a uniform. Camille's school doen't allow scarves, jewelry, or anything but school shirt, school sweatshirt (optional). black pants, black socks and shoes.  You could spend money on brand-name black pants and shoes, but there really isn't any room for any further personalization.

* I didn't have to buy any school supplies for Anya, except her p.e. uniform. The secondary school had a few required supplies, but less than what was required in the US.

* Both my girls report that the science here is harder, and also more interesting. Apparently, they spend more time on experiments and labs, and less on book work.

* Both my girls also find the math here easier (and I didn't find their programs in the U.S. particularly challenging).

* The primary school has much less testing. In fact, besides weekly spelling tests, Anya hasn't had a single test so far. In the US, it seemed like there was an assessment of some sort almost every week. On one hand, she enjoys school so much more with less tests. On the other hand, I don't really know how she's doing in school, or know how her teacher knows if she's learning the material or not.

* They only do a big standardized, year-end testing once every two years. Anya's so excited that her year isn't required to do testing this year. Unless she wants to! Which she doesn't. I don't think any testing is scheduled for Camille's year either.

* On a similar note, Anya rarely brings home any sort of school work. They do their work in notebooks at school, so I don't see anything that she's doing.

* There is much less of a reliance on textbooks and workbooks in the UK. At Anya's school they've studied language arts by working on a longer project, like writing a story or script. Anya says the teacher will talk about grammar as part of the project. Science is based on labs and experiments. Math is done from problems the teacher gives them. History/Social Studies has been done with plays, music, and projects. Anya enjoys all these lessons much more than in the US. At Camille's secondary school she has a textbook in her science class, and that's all.

* The primary school has much less homework. Anya has spelling homework, which is a more challenging list than in the US, but that's all. No worksheets.

* Neither of my girls' primary or secondary schools have any fundraisers scheduled that involve selling anything. Hallelujah!

* Both of my girls have less p.e. time here than their schools in the US. Anya only has p.e. once a week. Camille has a double period of p.e. once a week, and also a dance class once a week. They both had p.e. every day in the US.

* Both girls are required to take French here (much to their chagrin). (Interesting side note: Camille has been struggling with her French class, which I didn't find remarkable considering she's in 2nd year French but has never studied a foreign language before. When my husband started helping her with her homework he thought the work was ridiculously hard and decided to go talk to the teacher. I thought he was maybe overreacting. Well, it turns out Camille had been placed in ADVANCED 2nd year French. She's now been switched to just regular 2nd year French and is already much happier!).

* Class sizes are about the same at Camille's secondary school here as in the US. At Anya's primary school she has a split class of 30 students - half Year 5, and half Year 6. But they also have two full-time teacher's assistants in their class. Right now they also have two full-time student teachers until the mid-term. So at least temporarily, a ratio of 6 students to 1 teacher! In the US she would be in a class of 34 with one teacher.

* I may just not know the system here yet, but home-school communication was much easier for me in California. There's a Back-to-School night early in the year, teachers give out their email addresses, and so many graded assignments and tests are brought home that I've never been surprised by any of their grades on their report cards. Here, mid-term is in a week and I'm in such suspense of what their report cards will look like. I have no idea how they're doing. Nothing comes home and Anya's school explained to me that their policy is to not share teacher email addresses. Camille's school uses a computer system for giving out and turning in assignments. As a parent, I have my own log-in, but it only tells me what her upcoming assignments are. I don't have any access to how she was graded. Either the schools think that students are coming home and sharing everything with their parents (wrong!), or they feel it's between the students and the school. It's not what I'm used to.

* Anya misses her school playground in the US, which had playground equipment, wall ball, volleyball, basketball, kickball, tetherball and soccer. Here they have a cement courtyard and a grass field, along with some balls. They are allowed to run at recess and play tag here (one of their stranger rules back home forbids running at recess).

* And to end on a frivolous note, Anya reports that when you bring a lunch it's referred to as "lunch". When you buy a hot lunch from school it's referred to as "dinner".

My title here in the UK
At a welcome-new-parents-tea, we got a chance to sneak into Anya's class and get some photographic proof that she's doing some work in class. For part of their history unit on the Tudors they wrote these letters in early modern English/Tudor English.

3 comments:

  1. I would be frustrated at the lack if parent/teacher contact, but I think their lessons sound much more interesting! Practical is always better than busy-work worksheets! And it is awesome that the girls are already learning French.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Anya's olde english assigmnent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would bother me greatly to not be in the know as far as what is happening in the classroom! Fun to read and compare.

    ReplyDelete